NITI Aayog released the India Innovation Index 2021 on July 21, 2022 at an event in the NITI Bhawan. This is the 3rd edition of the India Innovation Index. The Index was released by the Vice-Chairman, NITI Aayog, Shri Suman Bery, in the presence of other esteemed dignitaries.
- The third edition of the India Innovation Index is a testament to the Government of India’s continued commitment to transforming the country into an innovation-driven economy.
- The third edition highlights the scope of innovation analysis in the country by drawing on the framework of the Global Innovation Index.
- The number of indicators has increased from 36 (in the India Innovation Index 2020) to 66 (in the India Innovation Index 2021).
- The indicators are now distributed across 16 sub-pillars, which, in turn, form seven key pillars. Through this comprehensive framework, the index evaluates the innovation performance of all the states and union territories in India.
- The states and the union territories were divided into 17 ‘Major States’, 10 ‘North-East and Hill States’, and 9 ‘Union Territories and City States’, for effectively comparing their performance.
- A special section has also been introduced in the India Innovation Index 2021 for showcasing the detailed analysis of the drivers of innovation, by evaluating the improvement in the indicators. The states can assess their position and the factors that led to a change in their ranking vis-à-vis that in the India Innovation Index 2020.
- The contours of the India Innovation Index 2021 remain the same as last year.
Also Read: India Innovation Index 2020
Top State in their respective categories:
Karnataka has topped again in the ‘Major States’ category, Manipur is leading the ‘North East and Hill States’ category and Chandigarh is the top performer in the ‘Union Territories and City States’ category.
India Innovation Index 2021: Overall Rankings
About India Innovation Index:
- Prepared by NITI Aayog and the Institute for Competitiveness, the India Innovation Index is a comprehensive tool for the evaluation and development of the country’s innovation ecosystem.
- It ranks the states and the union territories on their innovation performance to build healthy competition amongst them.
- The first and second editions were launched in October, 2019 and January, 2021, respectively.